The Nebraska Prairie Museum
The Phelps County Historical Society was organized in 1966. Our first displays appeared in the halls of the courthouse, then later, in the vacated Salvation Army building located just north of the current Holdrege City Hall. On April 22, 1975, ground was broken a half-mile north of the Country Club on Highway 183 for a 154′ x 120′ steel structure, now known as the Nebraska Prairie Museum (NPM). Several large additions and improvements have been made over the years. As well as, sharing geological and historic resources. The mission of the NPM continues to be a historical, interactive, resource for the community, through the collection of artifact, archival documents and memorabilia that explain the lifestyles of those who preceded us.
This is a Temporary place holder of new information to come.
Stereoscope – Jan 2010 Three Gun Wilson Swoops Down As Church Bells Ring Holdrege Progress October 31, 1932. Five Simultaneous Raidsby Twenty Officers With Federal WarrantsLand Four Holdrege Peoplein Federal Jail at HastingsWhile Other Are Held HereA few minutes before the last church bells rang in Holdrege Sunday morning, a series of simultaneous raids onContinue reading “Three Gun Wilson During Prohibition”
June 2010 Phelps Helps Newsletter Congregational Churches in Phelps County Darlene Samuelson, a volunteer at our library has just completed an index of Congregational church members in Phelps County, Nebraska. The communities include Holdrege, Loomis and Bertrand. We do not have the records for the Urbana Congregational, a country church that was located in theContinue reading “Congregational Church Update”
Recent Grants Provided by Humanities Nebraska and the National Endowment for the Humanities.